Petitioning the White House to Promote Free Software in US Schools

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Dec 27 20:25:15 EST 2012

Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:

> "maddog at li.org" <jonhall80 at comcast.net> writes:
> >
> > Joshua,
> >
> > I cited it on my Facebook page and Tweeted about it.
> >
> > Some comments about it question the petition itself and the fact that
> > a lot of educational decisions happen at the local level.  On the
> > other hand the Federal Government "influences" lots of state decisions
> > (age of drinking, as an example).
> >
> > And the more petitions like this, the more people at least think about
> > it.
>
> My sentiments almost exactly; additionally: consider that the White House
> is being required (by popular vote) to produce an official statement on
> why-or-why-not to build a Death Star. I can't say that this `try to get
> a White-House statement about FOSS' effort is *less* worthwhile than
> that. So, ultimately, I contributed my endorsement.

... or, as I phrased it in my submission to Slashdot
<http://slashdot.org/submission/2419589>:

        "OK, making the White House respond to `the Death Star Question'
        was fun, but can a nerd political petition with *actual relevance*
        get the same number of signatures? A new White-House petition
        for the federal government to encouage use of Free Software in
        schools is up on the whitehouse.gov site, so we'll see. How do
        FOSS and education compare to Death Stars on *your* list of
        priorities?"