Tablet recommendations?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Mar 22 09:33:03 EDT 2012

On 03/22/2012 09:09 AM, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> I'm interested in this thread.  I know I would use a tablet for reading
> and sheet music.  I tried the Nook Tablet, but the screen was simply too
> small for music.  Part of the challenge is imagining how else I might
> use a tablet.
>
> A client provided an iPad (original) so that I could make web site
> modifications to improve things for iPad users.  The iPad is quite nice,
> but way too locked down for me.
The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are good for some low end tablet stuff
and book reading. Lots of new stuff available in some of the newer
Android tablets, such as the XYBoard, Galaxy Tab, Transformer Prime, ...
All the manufacturers are coming out with their own innovations. Some
issues with some of the cheaper tablets, such as those you will find in
Wal*Mart, is that you may not b e able to upgrade, poor battery life.
All these tablets have built-in batteries. The iPad3, for instance is
going to run very hot, so you can fry an egg on the new Retina Display :-).

IMHO, tablets are just starting to transform the portable computer
market.  The iPad is currently the top of the line, but some of these
new Androids are making inroads. But... the issue is heat and power. We
do not have the technology in the marketplace today to bring in a new
technology battery. Carbon nano-tubes are about 10 years out, maybe
longer.  Samsung is now offering a smartphone (Galaxy Note) with a
stylus. I would possibly expect this technology to be extended to their
tablet if it is successful for them this year.

Lots of nice choices to make us feel like kids in a candy store.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix