Tablet recommendations?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sat Mar 31 22:57:29 EDT 2012

Jeffry Smith <jsmith at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I've thought about the Toshiba Thrive - full size USB ports, powered
> (so I could plug my movie HD in and watch movies) - but it 's heavier
> and thicker[...]

This must be the one I my wife and I saw when we stopped into Best Buy,
a few weeks back--thick and covered in rubber, with a really grippy
back surface?

It doesn't have the immediacy of the `oooh, look how thin and smooth
it is!', but we've generally found that `thick enough to make the edge
grippable' is an asset rather than a liability, as is `grippy rather
than smooth': compare `slides off your lap' vs. `doesn't slide off
your lap' and `easy to drop' vs. `easy to hold onto'.

`Oooh--how ergonomic!' is a tough first impression to give, though.
Unless you're presenting to ergonomists, maybe :)