USB (*gasp*) modem?

James A. Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Fri May 11 07:10:41 EDT 2012

Greetings Ken,

On Friday 11 May 2012 02:26:26 Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  I find myself likely entering the land of dialup for roughly
> 1.5 weeks.  DSL could be acquired, but for astronomical prices.  So!
> I'm going with my laptop, so USB is the way to fly.  Suggestions on a
> modem?  Or do I just bring *two* laptops: an older one with built-in
> modem, to act as de-facto router, and my current one?  I'd prefer the
> former -- less to go wrong -- but if getting a USB modem to work under
> Linux is a problem akin to the old WinModem issues, I'm willing to go
> with the latter.

    I hope you enjoy the relaxed and peaceful world of dialup.  The best modem
I have found is the 56Kbaud US Robotics part number USR5637.  It plugs into a
USB port and comes up as /dev/ttyACM0 on my system.  It even lists "Linux
2.4.20 kernel or higher" in the requirements.

    The price has been about $50 for the 3 I bought between 2008 and 2011.

    Turn off "Auto-load images" when browsing.  You didn't want to see all
those animated commercials anyway.

Jim Kuzdrall