USB (*gasp*) modem?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun May 13 11:38:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Hey, all.  I find myself likely entering the land of dialup for roughly
> 1.5 weeks.  DSL could be acquired, but for astronomical prices.  So!
> I'm going with my laptop, so USB is the way to fly.  Suggestions on a
> modem?

  One option to consider would be a conventional RS-232 serial modem.
They are a well-established product with a universal interface
(RS-232).  The good ones have a number of status lights which can
greatly aid in diagnostics (and give you that cool blinkenlights
effect when working properly).  And if you're a true geek, you
probably already have one squirreled away in a closet somewhere, or
know someone who does.  (You can borrow mine, if it's only for 2
weeks.)

  If the laptop doesn't have an RS-232 port, one can obtain
USB<->RS232 adapters for small money.  The later are a
well-established product with a universal interface (USB serial
communications class.  They shouldn't need vendor-specific drivers
under any OS that supports USB.  These also come in handy for
connecting to the serial consoles on routers, switches, and other IT
gear.  Small pieces, loosely joined.

  I there's nothing technologically that should prevent the
manufacture of a decent USB modem, but a very cursory web search
suggests there aren't any with a bunch of blinkenlights.  While it
seems silly to judge the quality of the modem by the quantity of LEDs,
this rule used to hold true back in the 90s.  Serious professionals
demanded good diagnostics as well as good datapump, DAC, and firmware,
so a really good modem would always have lots of LEDs, too.  Of
course, this just means blinkenlights are a necessary but not
sufficient condition, and I'm sure there are exceptions in any event.

+++ATH0

-- Ben