grub issue

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Tue Oct 23 13:21:41 EDT 2012

Ben Scott writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> > 4:  what happens when you type "telinit 5"?
>
>   FYI, Debian and (IIRC) Ubuntu don't use runlevel 5 normally.  They
> normally boot to runlevel 2, and use a service to start/stop an X
> display manager.  So, I think the equivalent command would be:
>
> 	/etc/init.d/gdm start
>
>   I could be wrong, this is from memory, and I haven't used Ubuntu in
> a while, either.  IIRC, Ubuntu replaced the standard SysV init with
> some new thing, and it may not even have initscripts anymore.

Yeah, I sort-of knew this.  I probably should have booted up one of my
Ubuntu VMs before I sent this.

Regardless, we all got the debug process moving along.... (-:

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits