Linux on netbook

Nuala Shields lunessaeia at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 15:01:03 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am contemplating either dual-booting Linux or running Linux exclusively
on my netbook.  I've long been partial to Debian, although I have used a
number of different flavors in the past (started out around RH 5.0, also
ran CentOS on a couple DEC Alpha's, etc.)

I'll give some specifics on the netbook in question.  I am mainly looking
for feedback/advice/caveats from anyone who may have already dabbled with
this sort of project.

I recall having some compatibility issues with dual-booting on an inherited
laptop some years back due to a few proprietary components (I had to use a
3rd party adapter or two, due to "windows only" issues with the
built-ins).  I'm not set in stone, so if another flavor has a better fit
for netbooks, I'd certainly consider it.

Gateway LT3119u (06/20/2010)
11.6" HD LED LCD
2GB RAM
250GB HDD (WDC WD2500BEVT-222CT0 ATA device)
AMD Athlon 64X2 L310 (ACPI X6)
ASUS Bluetooth v2.1 USB adapter
Qualcom Atheros AR5B95 wireless network adapter
Realtek PCIe family controller
Realtek high definition audio
Currently runs MS Windows 7 Home Premium

I mainly use it as backup, or for trips because it is small and portable
enough to tuck in a shoulder tote, or as the secondary to dual-box World of
Warcraft.

As a side note, I've been out of the loop for a while, are the WINE/WINEX
(or similar) projects making headway as far as running MS Windows based
games on Linux?

~Nuala