Installing Ubuntu on an EFI-based Intel system

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Aug 22 19:57:25 EDT 2013

> Halfway through the install the machine signaled an overheat
> condition and stopped.  Turned out I hadn't installed the CPU
> heat sink correctly.  Doh!  With this fixed the machine seems
> OK, but I can't figure out how to boot the CD again.

If you were trying to perform the installation on an otherwise
functional system (and the fact that you made it halfway
through indicates a lot of stuff was working fine) I'd say
it's unlikely that the overheat/shutdown incident resulted in
any permanent damage or config changes.  Some of the things
I might try next could include:

 - Bring up (what's typically called) the Boot Menu, usually
   accomplished via some Function key and often mentioned as
   an option in early BIOS screens.  Verify that the CD is
   offered as a boot option and that booting is possible when
   it's chosen.

 - Temporarily disable the RAID controller or disconnect
   the drives to eliminate RAID as a candidate for Boot Device.

 - If you were starting with a truly virgin system there ought
   be no harm in reloading all factory defaults.  This may or
   may not disable / undo your RAID configuration but if it
   works you'll at least have a place to stand as you restart
   your effort...