Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Fri Dec 6 13:09:59 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Patrick Flaherty <pflaherty at wsi.com> wrote:

> Most of our devs do their dev work on their desktops. When 1tb sata drives
> are 600 bucks it made more sense to let devs have "perishable" work
> environments. We're moving some of our compile/testing/deploy to jenkins,
> but that's really just a pilot program. I'm playing with docker/vagrent as
> well for testing environments.

I love Jenkins and am setting it up for a large role in the software
engineering process, but individual devs still have to do compiles before
checking in code - which even that could be handled by Jenkins.

> That being said, what are your mount options for home directories? Sounds
> an awful lot like you aren't async.

home dirs in our environment are not on desktops, as the developers are
(mostly) remote and the compile environment has to be controlled.  Here are
the mount options.

storage-nfs-svr1:/home on /home type nfs (rw,hard,intr,addr=172.16.0.31)
storage-nfs-svr1:/usrlocal on /usr/local type nfs
(rw,hard,intr,addr=172.16.0.31)