Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

Bill Freeman ke1g.nh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 14:07:18 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Patrick Flaherty <pflaherty at wsi.com>wrote:
>
>> Most of our devs do their dev work on their desktops. When 1tb sata
>> drives are 600 bucks it made more sense to let devs have "perishable" work
>> environments. We're moving some of our compile/testing/deploy to jenkins,
>> but that's really just a pilot program. I'm playing with docker/vagrent as
>> well for testing environments.
>>

> I love Jenkins and am setting it up for a large role in the software
> engineering process, but individual devs still have to do compiles before
> checking in code - which even that could be handled by Jenkins.
>

>> That being said, what are your mount options for home directories? Sounds
>> an awful lot like you aren't async.
>>

> home dirs in our environment are not on desktops, as the developers are
> (mostly) remote and the compile environment has to be controlled.  Here are
> the mount options.
>
> storage-nfs-svr1:/home on /home type nfs (rw,hard,intr,addr=172.16.0.31)
> storage-nfs-svr1:/usrlocal on /usr/local type nfs
> (rw,hard,intr,addr=172.16.0.31)

Are these mounts to the user's remote machine, and the compiles are run
there (in which case I'm not sure how controlled the compile environment
is), or are the users doing ssh X forwarding, or another remote desktop
solution, with the compilation actually happening on some non-remote box
(in which case a virtual machine per user could have local disk storage,
not requiring an nfs mount)?

(Everyone prepare to groan) emacs has tramp for (reasonably) efficiently
editing remote files (such as on a personal VM located on site).  An ssh
session allows running compiles and perusing error output, running VCS
commits, checkouts, etc.  (Personally, I'd be running the console ssh
session within emacs as well.)  I'm sure there are other ways to do this,
though your favorite GUI IDE probably can't run locally on the remote
user's machine, with the files and tools on the local per user VM, and is
probably best done in a remote desktop environment of some sort.