Serial ports

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:44:43 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM, M D L <41magnum at liberty.eprci.com> wrote:
> The cards are a StarTech PEX4S952 four port serial adapter:

  Unfortunately StarTech is a low-end brand.  They provide a product
that is 100% guaranteed to be in the box, but if you need help you're
not getting it from them.  :-(

  The StarTech website claims it is a PLX OXPCIe954 chip.

  The PLX website wants a "Membership" to obtain the datasheet.  :-p

  Google results suggest that the chip can be configured different
ways by the board manufacturer, but that Linux has support for at
least some of them.

  Check boot log files (usually named something like /var/log/boot,
/var/log/dmesg, etc.) and/or the output of the dmesg command, see if
you're seeing the chips being detected.  That may provide clues.

  What kernel version are you running?  ("uname -r" will tell you.)

> I am able to use three ports off the first card (ttyS1 - ttyS3),
> so I know support for the cards are there.  The system doesn't
> have a monitor attached at the moment, so I'll have to get back
> to you on the status in UEFI.

  This part is less important, so don't go crazy.  I was mainly
interested in finding out if the motherboard had additional serial
ports assigned that might get in the way of our efforts.

-- Ben