Call for topics for Nashua's next LUG meetings

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Jan 11 17:07:28 EST 2013

Bill Freeman <ke1g.nh at gmail.com> writes:

> Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:
> >
> > > I became the maintainer for this about 2 years ago:
> > >
> > >     http://www.foxtrotgps.org/
> > >
> > > So I guess I could talk about managing (or taking over) a smallish
> > > FOSS project, dealing with contributions (both helpful and unhelpful),
> > > etc.
> >
> > Or, a couple of more specific topics, which are probably of more
> > general interest:
> >
> >     * Managing software builds with the GNU Autotools (Automake,
> >       Autoconf, and Libtool)
> >
> >     * Writing documentation in Texinfo; outputting to PDF, HTML, and books.
>
> Plus one on all of these.  Also, if there is interest, I might be able to
> work up something on TeX/LaTeX (I;ve used Beamer, a LaTeX extension,
> to produce some of the slides that I've used for presentations).

I'm finding Texinfo to be a nice icebreaker for TeX; TeX was pretty-
quickly discarded as an idea for FoxtrotGPS documentation because it was
too unapproachable-seeming. Texinfo seemed much more approachable, and
then ended up providing just enough functionality and just little-enough
abstraction that I'm ending up wanting to better understand what's going
on underneath.