Printer recommendations

David & Tina Ohlemacher ohlemacher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:02:41 EST 2013

 Randy: The Samsung CLX-4195FW was on my short list.   But I started
looking at the Dell
2155cn<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046TS0L2/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A33Y0YQUZ2NYD5>.
The Dell one comes with onsite service and individual toner carts.  Looks
good... Until I looked for a PPD.   Yes the generic PPD will likely work to
print, but the right PPD will make it work much better (toner levels,
color, meaningful errors, scanning I hope).   Dell
<http://ftp.dell.com>only has rpms for Linux as far as I can tell
(phone support was horrendous
["You have a Linex computer?  What operating system does it use? Let me
connect you to sales..."]).    Since I mostly use Debian based distros and
do not want to bother trying to convert one to a deb.....dell is out.

Samsung has a universal printer
driver<http://www.samsung.com/us/business/printers/CLX-4195FW/XAC-support#>and
inside its gz file I found the PPD file.  Simple!   Reviews are
complaining about its wireless.  I will be using Ethernet since its going
next to my switch.

-d