Printer recommendations

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Thu Mar 7 18:17:32 EST 2013

"David & Tina Ohlemacher" writes:

> The Dell one comes with onsite service and individual toner carts.  Looks
> good... Until I looked for a PPD.   Yes the generic PPD will likely work to
> print, but the right PPD will make it work much better (toner levels,
> color, meaningful errors, scanning I hope).
[........]
> Since I mostly use Debian based distros and
> do not want to bother trying to convert one to a deb.....dell is out.

[...but then later you write...]

> Samsung has a universal printer
> driver<http://www.samsung.com/us/business/printers/CLX-4195FW/XAC-support#>and
> inside its gz file I found the PPD file.  Simple!

You could always try to extract the PPD file (if it exists inside) from the
dell.rpm file thusly:

   rpm2cpio dell.rpm >dell.cpio
   cpio -idv <dell.cpio

(I have no specific information about any of these printers)

Regards,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

And the Army Ants, they leave nothin' but the bones...
   -- Tom Waits