gps recommendations?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat May 18 09:13:02 EDT 2013

On 05/17/2013 09:18 PM, David Rysdam wrote:
> My GPS is dying. I'm looking for a replacement, but I want a
> particular..."mindset" is probably a better word than "feature".
>
> On a recent long-distance car trip, I found the GPS making opaque
> decisions. For instance, it has a route. I take an unplanned exit for
> gas and when I get back on, and the GPS has "recalculating"'d several
> times, the route is different. Why? I'm exactly where I was before and
> the destination is the same. No clue and no way to find out.
>
> Similarly, I often find that "fastest" and "shortest" are not the only
> optimization strategies I could wish for. How about "any route using/not
> using road X" or "no tolls, except for this one because it saves 4
> hours"? Or "no 'highways' but also don't take me down all these back
> country, one-lane roads".
>
> Basically, I find that when I use the GPS, it's the brains and I'm just
> the car operator. I want to be the brains and the operator and have the
> GPS be navigator. I decide a route (or the backbone of one) and it keeps
> me on it.
>
> Does this exist? I know "waypoints" is a thing, but I'm not talking
> about visiting landmarks. I'm talking about entering in (most of) my
> route and having the GPS handle the details.
While I use the GPS built into my car, I can easily set up routepoints
or waypoints. For instance, I usually set my GPS even for places like
work, mainly so I can see both driving time and traffic conditions. When
I go to my Sunday breakfast in South Boston, I set up a waypoint (or
destination) so that my GPS takes me onto the Big Dig rather than
Huntington Avenue.

However, I have found that Google Maps has an excellent turn-by-turn nav
feature. The strong point is that your maps are usually quite up to
date, but the weak point is that when you are out of range you won't be
able to download any mapping data.

The commercial GPS systems each have some good features. Garmin,
Magellan, and TomTom are probably among the best. I've used both Garmin
and Magellan and have relatively few complaints. Some of these units
work well as an auto nav unit and also as a walking nav unit, although
nearly any smartphone gives you that also. The main issue with all nav
units is map updating. Some units don't give you the capability to
update your maps, or some may charge. But none have the capability to
really think for you. For instance, program the GPS to stay out of high
crime or gang areas in a city. The real issue I have with GPS is that
people no longer know how to read a map. The GPS is no substitute for a
brain, common sense, and eyes.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix