gps recommendations?

Tyson Sawyer tyson at j3.org
Mon May 20 09:44:23 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> One feature that I was not able to get working on the Android version of
> Google Maps is route manipulation by moving the lines like you can on
> the web version. The advantages of a commercial GPS system, like TomTom
> is the screen size.

A Nexus 7 is larger yet and IMHO the price is quite good for the tool
you get.  No cellular data, but I'm not sure that is wanted here.

> Also, your maps are all preloaded. In a smartphone,
> your maps are loaded via your data connection, but there is a way to
> preload your maps before going into an area where you may not have wifi.
> It depends on your cache size. Also look at mapdroyd. I once compared
> Google Maps nav with Lexus nav, and I preferred the Google Maps route.

OSMAnd (Open Street Map Android) had gotten to be pretty darn good,
open source and does a very good job of storing vector data locally
and route planning.   They do charge a small fee for the "plus"
version that helps support development.  I paid it even though the
limits on the "free" version didn't impact me.

It seems that the OP is coming close to asking for a nav system that
knows what he wants better than he does. ;-)

My solution to this (and I LOVE to try alternate routes and see other
"stuff") is to set the destination and then divert for the suggested
route.  ...the app just reroutes from where ever I take it.

I've not needed to try this, but I believe that one can also insert
intermediate points on the route.

So, not exactly what was asked for, but I believe that I'm achieving a
very similar mission this way.

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster