gps recommendations?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon May 20 15:53:01 EDT 2013

On 05/20/2013 10:40 AM, David Rysdam wrote:
> On Mon, 20 May 2013 09:44:23 -0400, Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> wrote:
>> It seems that the OP is coming close to asking for a nav system that
>> knows what he wants better than he does. ;-)
> No, I think that's the exact opposite of what I want. I'm tired of
> computers in general thinking they know what I want better than I do. I
> want one that will do the task I give it and nothing else and I don't
> want to have to pander to the device to give it that task.
>
> "Here are the roads I want to drive on. Make sure I don't miss
> them. Make sure I get from one to another correctly, even in case of
> detours. Give me ETAs."
Computers are smarter than you because the programmers are!!!
My older NAV system had a few quirks.
Here is the way to my old work location:
North on I95, right turn onto exit 22, bear right, take left into office
complex after passing Riverside T station.

My older NAV was:
North on I95, right turn onto exit 22, bear left onto Grove St.
(crossing over I95)
Take second right onto Pierrenpont Rd, Right onto Crehore Dr, Right onto
Deforest Rd, then left back onto Grove St.(crossing back over I95
again).then left into office complex.

Well, printed maps can also be wrong. I let a flight of Hueys right down
the centerline of CamRahn AFB because it was not marked correctly on my map.

The bottom line is not to let the GPS or map lead you the wrong way.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix