Network & system monitoring tools? Nagios, Zabbix, ...?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Aug 13 15:03:02 EDT 2014

Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net> writes:

> On 2014-08-13, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> sent:
> > Looking to set up some system for monitoring systems on the network at
> > work; _vaguely_ familiar with nagios and zabbix....
> >
> > What do you guys generally find preferable, and why?
> >
> > Nagios? Zabbix? Something else?
>
> Icinga is worth looking at if you're used to Nagios.
[...]
> If you're more into a roll your own thing, collectd + Graphite + grafana
> makes some nice looking graphs.

In this case, I'm actually looking for something more along the lines of
`quick and easy to set up but also flexible enough to grow with our needs'
(though, _in general_, I'm appreciative of roll-you-own options).

AFAIK we're not particularly familiar with anything at this point, except
for maybe some proprietary toys that seemed nice at the time but then
ended up `feeling cramped'--like being able to query HTTP URLs, but
only being able to check for the presence of some string (i.e.: being
unable to check for the _absense_ of a string, or check HTTP status codes).

My (vague, second-hand) impression is that Nagios is flexible but complicated.

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."