time for the annual Internet Speed Quest

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Jul 6 23:00:42 EDT 2014

On July 6, 2014 2:05:27 PM EDT, David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> wrote:
>Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:
>> I think FairPoint does have some service in NH that's analogous to
>> FiOS, but I don't see any way to find out from their website how much
>> it costs or whether it's even available in a given area.
>
>Yep. I know they have some kind of "high speed" service, but there's no
>indication of how fast, how much or where. The website is a riddle
>wrapped in an enigma.

http://www.fairpoint.com/residential/internet/

After you give them you zip code or phone number, it at least shows you a list of options that may be available to you, along with the upper bound for speed on each, and a description that at least indicates whether each is fiber or copper--under the heading "Now choose one of the following:". Though I'm confused by that, because there doesn't seem to actually be a way to choose one and proceed to pricing or any other next step. I'd say that reduces it to just a plain mystery (no enigma wrapping).

And of course there are still the service caveats that everyone's described....