Modern Linux scanners

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 10:34:02 EDT 2014

On 06/16/2014 08:48 PM, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> Anyone buy a flatbed scanner for Linux recently?  Looking to scan pages
> and photographs.
> Any to buy?  Any to avoid?
>
> HP G4050 has 'good' sane support  to 2400 dpi, seems stupid to pay extra
> for the 4800x9600dpi.
> Does HP now generally support Linux?

I've been very happy with HP's support for Linux. Their HPLIP (HP Linux
Imaging and Printing) package supports nearly every model. Read the
website to confirm, of course:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html.

I do low volume scanning, printing, occasional complex printing. We have
an all-in-one (HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909n) in the office to handle most
everything: duplex printing, multi-tray projects, scanning, faxing and
memory card reading. Since it sits in one place, a wired network
interface via built-in JetDirect card is stable and reliable, and allows
features like "scan to network share" directly from the device's front
panel, so you can bulk-upload scan jobs to an SMB share with no computer
involved. Paper handling for printing is excellent. Paper handling for
the scanner-feeder has been a little less reliable, in my experience.

--
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC    http://www.tedroche.com/