Virtual machine host provider recommendations

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:39:18 EDT 2015

Hey all,

GNHLUG's server is being kicked out of our long-time free hosting.  Rather
than trying to find a new home for the box, I'm thinking I'll just buy an
account on a virtual machine hosting company, install a new system, and
transfer to there.  That is the quickest and easiest path, and we do not
have a lot of time.  Our deadline is JUL 31, roughly two weeks from now.

I'd like to hear people's experiences, good and bad, with service
providers.  Who is good?  Who is bad?  What to look for, or avoid?

Current requirements that I can think of are:
- Run an SMTP listener on TCP port 25 (receive email directly)
- Initiate outbound connections to TCP port 25 (send email directly)
- Run an HTTP listener on TCP port 80 (web server)
- Run an SSH listener on a non-standard port (SSH remote access)
- Run a DNS listener on UDP and TCP port 53 (authoritative name server)
- Install and run arbitrary Linux software
- Fairly low mail volume,web traffic, and DNS traffic
- Fairly low CPU, disk, and RAM usage
- No need for "CPanel" or other hand-holding software, and prolly better if
we don't have it

Lower prices are good, but it has to be reliable, too.  I'd rather pay more
for a provider that has less trouble, than have to tinker with it
constantly.

I think this has been discussed before, but not recently, and I can't find
the thread.

Suggestions welcome, but we don't have time for "you can put the server in
my basement" or other detours.

-- Ben