Virtual machine host provider recommendations

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Thu Jul 16 14:04:56 EDT 2015

I used to enjoy Linode, and really have no complaints about them except
that their 'stack scripts' are old and out of date, so everything is
roll-your-own.

More recently I've used Digital Ocean and _really_ like it.  The fact that
DO has all SSD drives is awesome.  Reboots in under 60 seconds.  They do
not try to wrap everything in some new-fangled "proprietary" experience,
they just provide a lot of help to do things the "right way".   And their
(FAQ/how-to) content is accurate, intelligent, and current.

One thing not to do is use the free (for non-profits) service at
DreamHost.  It's really not worth the price -- painfully old software