Network-controlled power switches/relays?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Tue Aug 22 15:33:25 EDT 2017

Anyone have any experience with ethernet-controlled power relays?

I have a situation with a couple of embedded Linux appliances I'm working on,
that are deployed hundreds of miles away from me, and I need the ability
to power-cycle one of them remotely. Looking for some sort of remote-controlled
AC outlet or relay (relay could be an 120V AC relay or a 12VDC relay, actually...).

Need one that I can control from a shell login on the other Linux machine
at the site, e.g.: a socket interface I can drive with netcat or the like,
a web interface that works with w3m or curl, SNMP.... Any of those would be fine.

I see a lot of different devices on Amazon that look like they might require
an iPhone or Android device running some proprietary GUI app on the LAN,
but I'm having trouble telling which are worthwhile and which will be a waste of time.

Suggestions?

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network: <https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>
Not on the network? Ask me for an invitation to the nhcrossing.com social hub!