"investigator hackers"?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Wed Feb 15 15:40:59 EST 2017

On 02/15/2017 02:41 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM, David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> wrote:
>>
>> Our common friend asked me if anything like an "investigator hacker"
>> existed that could look into these things, trace it back, send take-down
>> requests, etc.
>
> Because we didn't know where to find one, we considered starting such
> a firm ... a friend investigated what it would take to get licensed as
> such.
>
> According to my recollection of their research, the easiest path to
> licensing as a Private Detective/Investigator in Mass was to work for
> one for N years, so we were considering recruiting a licensed PI as
> managing director. ( IDK what NH rules are. )
>
> I think it's SANS INST that has an Ethical Hacker certification
> that would be useful documentation in such an enterprise.

EC-Council "Certified Ethical Hacker":

	https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/

I found out about that because, IIRC, they used to use a `covert channel'
tool that I maintain....

The course seems to mostly be a course on penetration-testing (in furtherance of
the "hacker/cracker" confusion), which is probably not the sort of work
that you'd actually want your `Magnum PH' doing.

Didn't work out well for this guy, anyway:

	"Investigator Admits Guilt in Hiring of a Hacker"

	https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/business/dealbook/a-guilty-plea-in-a-hacker-for-hire-case.html

(and there's that "hacker/cracker" confusion again...)