Netiquette (was: Need to copy a 200GB directory)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Wed Jun 28 03:09:26 EDT 2017

On 06/27/2017 10:01 PM, R. Anthony Lomartire wrote:
> OK, my apologies for hijacking this thread, I haven't been on a mailing list in forever but I will apply proper
> etiquette. Can I just ask what you mean by "top post" though?

Not everyone reads or even receives every message, in real time,
in the same order in which you saw or responded. So the custom Greg is
encouraging you to use is to provide a quotation of (the salient parts of)
whatever you're replying to *above your reply* so that the context
of your reply is obvious, even to someone who reads your message
without having seen any other messages in the thread first.

e.g.: some people will find this message as a result of a web-search,
some people just get thousands of e-mails a day and need to prioritize them
using some other system than `by the order in which they were sent';
many people will simply re-read messages at some point in the distant future,
when the memory of `the last thing that was posted before this' has
faded even _if_ it was once clear.

Also: you know how some people think Shakespeare is hard to read?
Try reading all of the dialog *back to front* ;)

"top posting" is "yoda dialog"

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network: <https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>
Not on the network? Ask me for an invitation to the nhcrossing.com social hub!