Is your kids' school forcing Zoom on them too?

Matt Minuti matt.minuti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 19:14:31 EDT 2020

Virtually all of the security "issues" are irrelevant for the use case of
public schools. All the "hacking" I've heard of has been nothing more than
people doing the modern equivalent of wardialing, joining in meetings that
have no password by picking random numbers. That's not zooms fault, that's
just bad IT policy on any platform (which schools ought to know how to
address now).

There's been no remote execution exploits (AFAIK), so that's a non-issue.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the problem with Zoom in
this context, and what better alternative are you proposing? Jitsi is cool
and open source (yay!), and a thousand times better than WebEx, but it's
subject to similar server-side concerns as zoom (compromised server MITM),
and I wouldn't put much trust in the local SAU IT guy to handle installing
it let alone running it securely for hundreds or thousands of simultaneous
users.