How was the get-together?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Feb 25 14:51:47 EST 2020

I've been to a few of the Dartmouth GNHLUG meeting.  They would typically
meet at a restaurant before the meeting before going to a quiet room on
campus.

I think the important thing is to meet.  A topic/speaker/etc can evolve
from that.

I recently went to a wood turner's meeting.  They had a "try doing this"
demo before the meeting where others could watch, learn, and try.  The
formal meeting would do club business, do show & tell of what people made
on their lathes, then finish with a demo of a technique.

The early days of Linux (and Unix) groups were like that.  Linux Journal
and other magazines were like that too.  Things were starting out and you
didn't know where things were going (kde vs gnome vs everything before
that) so there was always something.  I remember a demo of someone playing
with Xfig on a new laptop that could compile Linux in the background w/o
slowing down.

I've been working with Openstack and Openshift, but it's not something I
could bring to a meeting.  My Openstack server at home is a Dell R710.   I
have seen a 5 stack Raspberry Pi Kubernetes cluster demo'd.

What would show & tell with Linux look like today?