rsync question

Bruce Labitt bdlabitt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 21:29:54 EST 2021

A maybe not so smart rsync question...

If one uses rsync -avz src/bar  /disk2    will that copy over everything
from src/bar and create a directory bar on disk2?  What if src/bar has
other users or root?  In other words, does the -a mean that it will
preserve ownership and links and copy to /disk2?  Just don't know if I need
sudo or not.

I dumbly did a copy.  Well, that didn't preserve permissions or
attributes.  So deleting that...  Since I'm trying to back up 100's of GB,
thought I'd ask.  This is taking a long time, even with USB3 drives and
nvme.