Have suggestions for a "roll your own file server"?

Bruce Labitt bdlabitt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:47:18 EST 2021

Actually, at the moment I am forced to run on a RPI4-4GB.  My laptop PS
died.  I'm aware of many of the downfalls of an RPI, I've had a few PI's
over the ages.  Mercifully, they are getting better.  One cannot run an SSD
AND and active USB3 hub both plugged directly into the 2 available USB3
ports.  The RPI4 will not boot.  The active hub's voltage backfeeds into
the Pi and the PI senses this, and prevents booting.  If however, the
active hub is buffered by a passive hub, it will work.  I discovered this
accidentally.

Anyhow, it's not too bad with two disks plugged into the active USB3 hub.
I had to rsync my laptop NVME to another NVME and it was sort of slow, but
I was transferring over 110GB.  Average transfer rate was over 90MB/sec for
all sorts of large and millions of small files.  Yeah not super fast, but
tolerable.  The file transfer was happening all the while I was using the
RPI4 for browsing with 14 active tabs.

I'm not using the SD card at the moment - that's unbearably slow.  I boot
from SSD.  (I lasted about a day using the RPI4 as a computer on an SD.  I
then ordered a $20 120GB SSD!)  Doing that, the RPI4 is tolerable,
especially with a slight overclock.  The RPI4 is a limited platform, but
it's not horrible, like it's predecessors were.  The earlier versions are
ok for print servers, sprinkler controllers and DNS filters (pihole).  I
think an RPI4 could make an ok host for a mirror array.  Don't know how to
do it yet, but it seems very approachable.

What I haven't figured out is how to have a remote offsite PI as well.
Just don't know how to secure it and be able to access it remotely.  At the
moment it's beyond my skill set.