Linux NFS server

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Wed Nov 6 11:25:07 EST 2002

The reason I asked this general question is to find
anecodotal evidence or even actual facts that can help
us increase/decrease our comfort level with replacing
a very expensive NAS solution ($100K/yr). We believe
replacing it with linux based box is something that
can be do this and be a lot cheaper. We have a little
money, but, not $100K. We do need to show that the
replacement can be expected to work reasonably well
as far as performance and availabilty and that maintenance
is something we can do on our own without wizards and
magic potions. The pogo linux boxen look good to us so
far. We're looking at buying three plus a box of spare
parts. We'll configure 2 for production and a third as
a 'hotspare/sandbox' machine. This brings to around
$20K or less one time cost.

Anyway, I often hear rumblings about the mixing of
the NFS's, Solaris and linux not playing well in certain
situations. I'd like to determine if these rumblings
are based on old fears, configuration issues or whatever.
So far the reasons I usually come up with are things
like "SUN invented NFS, use SUN" or something equally
uninformative..

--
_| _| : : }  quantum at lucent.com - http://www-cde.mv.lucent.com/~quantum
 -(O)-==-o\  andrew at gaunt.org - http://www.gaunt.org