Apache has me perplexed.

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Nov 27 13:16:15 EST 2002

I'm trying to set up a replacement web server for my current, aging server.

I have compiled the very same version of Apache on the replacement, with
the very same options as on the original, and I'm using the same
configuration file with only the DocumentRoot and similar directory
names changed.

On the replacement, when I try to access my home directory /~jason/ I
get a 403 error, where this works perfectly on the old server. I've
checked directory permissions, and the allow/deny stuff in the config
and everything is identical from one server to the other, including the
user that Apache runs as.

So, what gives?

The only real difference is the machine, which are two different
architectures (the old one being a PowerPC and the "new" one being an
AMD K6). Also the older one is running MkLinux (based on RH 6.0) and the
new one is running RH 8.0.

I can't find anything on Google nor in the Apache mailing list archives.
Anybode else seen this before and know of a solution?

Yes, mod_info shows that mod_userdir is loaded and configured.