Sound issues.

Bill Mullen moonmullen at attbi.com
Mon Oct 21 08:11:23 EDT 2002

On 20 Oct 2002, David wrote:

> I checked my cat /proc/pci and got this response concerning my sound
> card.
>
> Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-9
> IRQ 3.
> Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=12,Max Lat=128.
> I/O at 0xdf00 [0xdf3f].

> sndconfig detects the card but does not seem to want to configure it.

These instructions are based on the Mandrake distro, but RH is similar
enough that they ought to apply for you as well.

You'll want to edit your /etc/modules.conf file (as root), and add the
following line, if it does not already appear there:

alias sound es1371

Make sure that the "sound" service is set to run at boot time, and that
the "alsa" service is *not*, with:

chkconfig --add sound
chkconfig --del alsa

Now try (still at the root prompt):

modprobe es1371

If this gives no errors, next do:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sound restart

Assuming that this completes successfully, next run:

aumix

If it's not installed, install it from your RH CDs. Set the master volume
and save the settings, then exit aumix.

Hopefully, at this point you'll be good to go.

HTH!

--

Bill Mullen
8:11am, 2002-10-21