Booting on RAID set failing

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Sep 18 16:40:43 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, at 4:17pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>> Can you boot from a CD or other external media, start the RAID sets, and
>> fsck the filesystems (as a sanity check)?
>
> No, the system has 4 IDE drives, no floppy or CDROM, hence the attempt to
> build systems using FAI.

  Not even a controller?  Many (most?) small form-factor units at least have
the motherboard ports, so you can take the cover off and attach a drive for
debugging purposes.

> ... so now I'm going even further into this madness by taking your
> suggestion of mirroring everything across the 4 drives :)

  Just to clarify, my suggestion was to mirror the "system" portitions over
all 4 drives.  I was suggesting the "data" portitions be exported without
any RAID (and doing the RAID-0/1/5 on the "Access Node").

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>