Booting on RAID set failing

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Sep 18 16:33:53 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:40:43 EDT
bscott at ntisys.com said:

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, at 4:17pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>>> Can you boot from a CD or other external media, start the RAID sets, and
>>> fsck the filesystems (as a sanity check)?
>>
>> No, the system has 4 IDE drives, no floppy or CDROM, hence the attempt to
>> build systems using FAI.
>
>  Not even a controller?  Many (most?) small form-factor units at least have
>the motherboard ports, so you can take the cover off and attach a drive for
>debugging purposes.

Yeah, I might have to take the cover off though :)  It's a standard
I810 mobo, so I'm sure it has at least a floppy controller somewhere,
I'd just need to rib a floppy drive out of some other system some
where and then open this system up.   Maybe tomorrow, it's time to go
home :)

>  Just to clarify, my suggestion was to mirror the "system" portitions over
>all 4 drives.  I was suggesting the "data" portitions be exported without
>any RAID (and doing the RAID-0/1/5 on the "Access Node").

Errr, what do you mean the "system" portions.  Not /, /boot, /usr,
/var?

The Data portions will be exported as raw partitions by NBD, and the
AN will RAID5 the devices of multiple SNs together, then RAID1 the
RAID5s in the RAIN config I spoke of earlier.
--

Seeya,
Paul