Other *NIX apps

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 07:40:28 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 01:08  PM, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

> I know that all *NIX versions (Solaris, HPUX, Linux, etc.) have their
> own little nuances, but deep down (and in some cases, really, *REALLY*
> deep down) they are supposedly all the same. This makes me wonder: Is
> it
> possible to run an old Solaris-based program on a Linux system? Just
> how
> interoperable are all of these different *NIX system? Just some fodder
> for discussion....

I know this is restating the obvious (and probably isn't what Kenny had
in mind), but thought I'd mention another advantage of using HLLs:  if
the app is written in Perl, Python, or Java, then this is usually not
as much of an issue.  (Though of course, you can extend any of these
languages with C, but this means that interoperability might become a
concern again.)

Erik