Ticket tracking/help desk software?

brian lists at karas.net
Mon May 5 16:10:28 EDT 2003

FWIW, I tried to use RT at my day job, and found it WAY too perl module
dependent in order to run.  I couldn't ever get it to install smoothly,
despite trying on 3 different servers.

I finally gave up and wrote my own.  It uses perl with MySQL on the
backend and has a nice-ish web interface (I'll admit the UI is more or
less stolen from the Webmin UI (btw if you're not familiar with
http://www.webmin.com , check it out...).

Anyway, you can create tickets via web interface, and it also checks
email and can auto-create tickets based on emails sent to whatever
account you tell it to check.  It is (so far) serving our needs fairly
well.  Our company is a small-ish corporate wholesale ISP.  We average
about 20-30 tickets per day.  Tickets can have due dates (shown on the
main screen) and you can set alerts for tickets as well (alerts are just
scheduled email reminders, really).  It supports multiple users and
groups (working on adding a workflow scheme now where a new customer
turnup (for example) can be routed amongst groups with tasks assigned
and critical path tracking).

The code is nothing to be "proud" of, and I'm sure it could be more
optimized and secured (which is kind of what I'm working on now.).

However, if anyone is interested, I might consider sharing it privately
with the standard disclaimers of no warranty express or implied,
contribute back to the project, all rights reserved, no profiteering,
etc.  I'd be willing to send screen shots to anyone who asks, I'd just
rather not post them to the list, as they do contain a smidgen of
private info (customer names and whatnot).

The ticketing system is part of a larger sort of ISP suite (all of which
I've more or less written), including a RADIUS user manager with the,
and an asset tracker (asset tracker is part of a larger system that I'm
working on, which is pretty much a graphical/relational network manager
and mapper for tracking Co-Lo/Data center equipment and connections).