Kernel 2.5.x PS/2 mouse device?

Ken D'Ambrosio kena at well.com
Fri May 16 12:53:20 EDT 2003

Hi, all.  I'm desperately trying to get my PS/2 mouse to work under 2.5,
but, thus far, have failed.  As far as I can tell, /dev/psaux isn't doing
anything (usually, a "cat /dev/psaux", followed by moving the mouse,
resulted in a bunch o' garbage).  dmesg tells me:

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

I'd think that I might be able to create a device with mknod using 0x60
and 0x64 as my major and minor device numbers, except that both the
keyboard and the mouse are identical.  I have no idea what "serio1" ties
up with, if, indeed, anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Ken