Samba Problems

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Aug 3 08:19:00 EDT 2004

c.e.smith wrote:

> three installs of redhat 6.0 and two of 5.1 later and NO samba now  testpram
> has suddenly become an unknown command  the reason for using the older
> versions was that I have them on disk thus eliminating the search for an
> iso( yes i do know they are easily found) and most importentaly to keep
> wasted ( used) disk space to a minimun, so I was hopping to NOT have to load
> a newer (Bloted) system with all the X support etc.
>
>  it seems that the lastest version from Samba.org requires C libs  and a
> newer compiler that don't exist in 5.1 and 6.0
>     So anyone know of a reduced (LITE) version that will run newer samba or
> am I going to have to put Fedora on a diet after I get it up and running (
> boy that will probiblyu cause some problems)
>
> So much for a quick evening project all my files are still scattered over
> three machines and I have this beautiful 120 gig hard drive just sitting
> there wondering what it is going to do

I just loaded Mandrake Linux 9.2 without installing KDE or Gnome. The
installation is using 463 MB. I didn't weed the installation at all.
If I did I could likely shave another 100-200 MB. I rarely use X, KDE,
Gnome, etc. (though often I do load them as disk space usually isn't a
premium). Since I almost always use runlevel 3, it's rather moot that
they're installed. With the graphical environments installed, typical
space used is 1.1 GB.

If you want much smaller, there are numerous small footprint distros.

If you are local to Bedford, NH, I'd be happy to burn off a set of
Mandrake Linux CDs (there are 3 CDs in version 9.x and 5 in 10) for
you. Or, for that matter other distros (just let me know beforehand
and so I can download them).

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272