Wireless *switch*?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Dec 7 10:51:02 EST 2004

> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:07, Travis Roy wrote:
>
>>a Wireless access point is really not much more then a bridge. Most do
>>come with NAT stuff but you can switch that off. Both my Apple Airport
>>(old one), the Linksys at work, and the D-Link in our other work
>>location have this option.
>>
>>Just make sure it's JUST an access point and not a wireless "router".
>

> Going this route, the access point just establishes the connection, and
> then the wireless device (a laptop for instance) can issue a DHCP
> request like normal?

Yup, that's exactly how mine is setup. I know a lot of people are going
to freak out in horror when I say this, but my wife's laptop (an iBook)
gets an IP address right from my ISP (MV) via DHCP over the wireless and
through the access point. I generally only NAT my windows boxes. Mostly
because of testing and such, I don't want that extra layer of confusion.