IT management software?

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Dec 29 11:07:01 EST 2004

Hello world!

  I know this list has a lot of people with experience in IT administration
whose opinions I respect, so I'm floating question this here.

  Anyone got any recommendations for IT management software?  Something that
can track equipment (computers, printers, etc.) as well as software, where
it is, what it's for, serial numbers, etc.  All that asset stuff.
Something that includes discovery/auto-inventory would be real nice.
Multi-platform (both *nix and *doze) is essential; there's too much *doze in
the world to ignore it.  Indeed, we find that *doze generally needs this
kind of management a lot more then *nix.  Commercial products are fine
(indeed, expected), although FOSS is certainly okay.

  I looked at OpenNMS, but it appears to be focused on status and event
monitoring, while right this second, I'm more interested in asset and
allocation management.

  There's a billion and one products out there for this kind of thing, which
is why I'm interested in real-world opinions.

 advTHANKSance

--
Ben Scott         | Net Technologies, Inc. | 978-462-8795
Systems Engineer  | Salisbury, MA, USA     | 866-905-3049