Samba related question.

Ed Lawson k1vp at grizzy.com
Wed Feb 11 11:31:13 EST 2004

For reasons that are best left unsaid, I am attempting to help a person
in Colorado set up a RH9 box as a SAMBA server for Windows desktops.
He bought the Linux box from Dell with RH9 installed.

My question relates to getting the Windows boxes to resolve the linux
box by name.  He uses the combo DSL modem/router as a DHCP server.
There is no local DNS server, the router points to the ISP's DNS.  The
local boxes do not have hosts files for the other machines since DHCP is
used. The linux box is getting its network info from the router and can
access the Internet and any local machine can ping the linux box by
using the assigned IP, but cannot ping it by name. Apparently the name
of the linux box show up in the network neighborhood, but clicking on
the icon results in a message about not finding machine on network. The
router shows no name for the linux box in the connections page. To me
this means the DHCP client is not sending its hostname.

I have not encountered this problem before, but not familiar with RH9.

If the DHCP client sends a hostname, shouldn't that take care of this?
By that I mean the other clients will get the name of the linux
box from the DHCP server on the router associated with the IP.

TIA

Ed Lawson