Desktop apps

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Mar 4 09:26:48 EST 2004

Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Greg Rundlett writes:

>>A decent file comparison and merge tool.
>

> FYI: I use "ediff" mode under emacs for this all the time and I am
> very happy with this tool.  This mode handles directory trees and
> three-way merges as well.  And, if I have to massage the code a tiny
> bit after applying a diff, I can just resort to using the emacs
> commands that I know very well at this point.

Aunt Tillie says she can't understand Emacs.

Seriously, though it works great, this is not a tool for the masses.
Kate sure, Kwrite yup.  OOWriter, of course, but not Emacs.

For myself, I'd like to see real support for current Real Pleayer
(rather than a major revision and a half behind) and Quicktime and
better plugin support in Mozilla.  Hell, the plugin finder doesn't even
know how to find a plugin for midi. (not that I would use it often, but
it is an example.)

One of the biggest things I'd love to see is a Web3D browser that does
not require all kinds of extra software my system doesn't like... like
having to install Java3d (What?  No Mandrake RPM and no DEB unless I
want about 3 versions ago?)  PLUS the player.  Some insist on Perl 5.8
which is still kind of buggy and completely throws you into dependency
HELL in Mandrake.

How about a nice, universal package manager? Not Alien, but something
more userfriendly.   Something that will automatically figure out
recursive layers of dependencies, search all kinds of archives for them,
and do it all automagically (with just user confirmation...)

Brian

|   brian at datasquire.net            http://www.hirebrian.net  |
|                Simply the Best IT/MIS Manager               |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |