List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Mar 12 14:36:00 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 02:16:32PM -0500, Travis Roy wrote:
> >And yet it failed miserably to do so.  I don't live at that address,
> >and mail to any of those e-mail addresses will not reach me (with
> >certain important exceptions, which I will not detail here).
>
> At one point that data was correct, and from the time you input the
> data, until the time that data was changed then your privacy was not
> there.

Actually it wasn't.  Or at least not all of it.  So what?  It should
be up to ME, not YOU, when and where I decide to give up my privacy.
It doesn't matter if the information was ever right or ever public;
the point is I asked you not to do it, with reason, which I've
explained before.  You did it anyway.  That's rude.

The DMV has my name and address (or my last known, at any rate).  I
still don't want it posted on billboards in downtown Nashua.  Surely
you can see that there's a difference.

You can't argue that my domain record is no different than posting my
e-mail address in a public forum, because as we've established, that
information is quite intentionally wrong.  What of it wasn't at one
time was entered before this became an issue for me.  Which is
irrelevant, because it too is now wrong.

My point is, I and only I should be in charge of what of my private
information is given to whom and when.  Seeing my address posted on an
on-call list does not give you the right to give it to your neighbor,
or anyone else.  Or at least it shouldn't.

Doesn't any of this ring true with you guys?

-=-=-=-=-
Despite the ever-increasing complexities of human society and the advancement
of science and technology, the most perplexing problems that face most people
remain what to eat for lunch today, and who to sleep with tonight.
-=-=-=-=-