spam filters

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Wed May 19 10:22:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 01:13, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> Spamassassin looks in the home directory of the user it is running as
> for the bayes database. It is really designed to be called from a
> procmail filter running as the user whose mail is being scanned.
> However, most setups configure it to run as user nobody or user mail. If
> the user that spamd is running as doesn't have a home directory and the
> bayes database isn't there, then bayesian filtering is more or less
> deactivated and you're filtering on the default rules.

This definitely depends on your setup.  I have a couple systems running
spamd as root to allow it to su to the given user.  It works quite well.

Of course, these systems don't have users with shell accounts and spamd
only listens on localhost.

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com