cdrecord problems with CD-RW on FC3

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Wed Jun 15 10:52:01 EDT 2005

Larry Cook wrote:
> I'm having intermittent problems with some CD-RW media on FC3.  I'm
> using cdrecord to blank it first and then write to it.  Most of the time
> I don't have a problem, but occasionally the blanking (both fast and
> all) gets a media error and occasionally there is an error fixating.
> Ejecting and retrying sometimes works or after a few eject/retry cycles
> it will eventually work.
>
> Any one else experience similar problems?  I'm wondering if it's the
> media, my hardware, or something with FC3.  I'm running an unmodified
> FC3 which seems to have an experimental cdrecord with DVD support.  The
> drive is a Cendyne Lightning CD-RW and the media is Sony 1x-4x CR-RW.

I've used FC3 without a problem burning CD-RWs. I don't
know what vendor's media they've been using. (Probably
CDW's special of the month.) No problems in the last six
months. The CD-RW drive is a Samsung x48.

Most every version of cdrecord says its support is
experimental, it seems. :-)

The systems I've been running FC3 on are not especially
powerful: Celeron 533 & AMD 1 GHz, with 256 MB. I only
sporadically burn CDs on the 533 system, but it has
always worked fine. Its drive is a Mitsumi, if I recollect.

I'd be leary of the Cendyne CD-RW drive myself, but
that's personal bias, not fact. It's not a brand that
inspires confidence in me.

Hope this all helps. Good luck.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951