cdrecord problems with CD-RW on FC3

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Wed Jun 15 10:58:00 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 09:25 am, Larry Cook wrote:
> I'm having intermittent problems with some CD-RW media...

    I had to replace both a TEAC W512S whose problems started just as
you describe.  Unlike most electronic parts which fail
catastrophically, the CD-ROM lasers can deteriorate slowly from
junction heating.  (The N and P layers diffuse into each other.)

    Try cleaning the laser lens with alcohol.  If that fails, buy or
borrow another CD writer.

    I had a NEC CD reader fail similarly after 5 years of intermittent
use.

Jim Kuzdrall