Jabber experiences

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 12:01:20 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, klussier at comcast.net <klussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> [Add to Address Book] [View
> Source]
> > I agree with Ken on this one. If you're looking for a plop down,
> configure,
> > and just run server, eJabberd is the best open source solution.
> I found that after having deployed the Jabberd v1 and v2 servers in
> previous companies that I was all done with the configuration of Jabberd.
> Yes, it is solid. Yes, it is configurable. Yes, it is extendable. Yes, it is
> a PITA. After setting up a few different jabber servers, I decided that the
> limitations that came with using eJabberd were worth it. The first time I
> set up eJabberd, it took me about 5 minutes to read the quick start guide,
> and 5 more minutes to go and do it. And it worked "Out of the box" so to
> speak.

   Yeppers. eJabberd sets up quick, and handles nearly anything for core IM
you would like to do.

> > IF, and I say IF real loud, you need to do ANY sort of custom
> integration, i.e
> > ., external user authentication, rosters modified by external
> applciations,
> > etc, then Jabberd 2 is the way to go.
> You can do some of this with eJabberd as well. It may require some
> patches, but the functionality is there. For example, there is a patch that
> modifies the ejabberdctl command to allow you to modify rosters on the
> command line.

  Yes, eJabberd has some patches for changes that make it easier to build
into a system. As an example, Jabberd can use an external script that can
handle authentication with a VERY simple mechansim. As an example, you would
pass simple 'commands' to a spawned script that can do anything it likes to
authenticate.
  That sounds really vague. Basically, you can write your own plugins for
nearly anything in jabberd2 using a simple interface that will just use
STDIN/STDOUT for communications. This includes auth, rosters, etc. And it
can be used real time.

> > Basically, eJabberd 'just works', but isn't nearly as dynamic in use as
> > Jabberd 2, BUT, while Jabberd2 will let you do pretty much anything you
> like,
> > it can be worse then configuring Apache.. ;-)
> I don't find there to be too many limitations to eJabberd. What does
> Jabberd2 do that eJabberd doesn't? I'm curious about this now.... Of course,
> there is another one (whose name escapes me at the moment) that is written
> completely in java and can be integrated with Asterisk so that your presense
> represents when you are on the phone. Now that is cool integration :-)

  As a core package, there are no limitations in eJabberd. Limitations take
place when you start looking at things such as total number of connections
per box, customizations of components, integration with external systems,
etc. eJabberd HAS gotten a little better since transports that are written
for jabberd1/2.x can now be used by eJabberd as well. But it still lacks the
ability to have the server rely on external data sources dynamically.
  That, and it's written in Erlang. Personally, I just don't like tha
language, and don't feel comfy in the code like I do writing modules for
jabberd. ;-)
  One benny that eJabberd has OVER jabberd is clustering. eJabberd has it
built in. Jabberd2 has, well, several ways to do it, none of which are easy
'out of the box'.
 Thomas