Printing man pages

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Feb 21 20:30:01 EST 2006

All,

I appreciate the methods given to me to burn up my laser printer, or
empty my pocket buying really expensive ink cartridges just to get thousands
of sheets of loose pages (typically single-sided) printed and flying around
my office.

However, what I was alluding to was the nicely printed and bound manuals that
I used to get when my company paid $1200 for my Unix documentation set.

Back in the days when Digital's documentation group argued for days whether
the manuals should be 8.5x11 or 5x9", in dark grey binders or in VMS orange
binders.  And should they be called "man" pages or "doc" pages (or something
silly like "doc").

Yet the first volume of documentation we printed had "unsupported" at the bottom
of all of the supported commands, and vice-versa.  So while Nero fiddled, Rome
burned.

Ahhh, for the days of proprietary software!  "Where are the Snowdens of
yesteryear?"

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.