Samba PDC/BDC

klussier at comcast.net klussier at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 12:52:01 EST 2006

From: Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com>
> On 1/16/06, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> >

>   True, however, it would seem Kenny seems to intend to not require any auth
> traffic to have to go over the wire to the remote site.  So in reality, when
> authenticating via LDAP, he'd want to replicate the LDAP server is TWO
> locations.

Exactly. Replicate LDAP via slurpd to the remote site. The remote site has a Samba server pointing to the local replicated LDAP server.

>   His primary question, however, is if he can have 2 Samba servers providing
> authentication for one single Active Directory domains.  This way both sites
> would acknowledge the users authentication within the domain.
>
>   Am I right here Kenny, or did I misread the question?

This is exactly what I want to do. I want to have the Windows domain of "CORP" (why does Windows do everything in uppercase, anyway?!) in both places, each Samba server authenticating against it's local LDAP tree. I don't see any reason that this shouldn't work, since NetBIOS won't traverse the VPN, but there could be issues with SID's or RID's or whatever AD has these days.

C-Ya,
Kenny