Custom Distro

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 14:10:01 EST 2006

"Michael ODonnell" <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> writes:

>> I have a pretty convoluted and heavily customized FAI environment
>
> Convoluted?  FAI?  you don't say...               ;->
>
> I hope to hear  that FAI has come a long way since then because,
> as I said, I liked the idea...

Back then, and now, I find FAI to be far superior to anything out
there for any environment with disparate classes of machines requiring
a variety of customized installations.

The older version of FAI was truly a frightening place to visit if you
expect elegance and beauty in your bash scripting.  It's not a place
you'd bring small children unless they required being "scared straight" :)

The new versions have been cleaned up some, and a lot of functionality
that was grafted on the side with bailing wire and bondo has been
cleaned up substantially to merely require bubblegum and paperclips :)

The best first step IMO for a new FAI installation is to, once you
figure out how it works, throw out all the examples and start from
scratch.  Most of the defaults and examples are good starting points,
but usually not overly helpful any site but the main FAI developer's.

--

Seeya,
Paul